Influence the ATO & SRO with the right information
The ATO and SRO are large revenue authorities comprising of different departments and teams, each with their own policies, practices and objectives. In disputes with these authorities, it can be difficult to understand the different types of engagement options and products that may be available to you.
Before a dispute gets to the audit, objection or litigation stages, there are a range of opportunities to engage with the ATO or SRO to effectively influence the achievement of your objective.
Aptum’s tax disputes leaders worked at the ATO for over a decade. We understand how revenue authorities work, how they make decisions in the early stages of disputes and the types of information required to make these decisions.
Aptum can help you gain clarity on your tax liability and avoid significant penalties by identifying the most effective pathways for engaging with the ATO and SRO.
We can do so on your behalf or work with your preferred accountant or tax agent.
How can Aptum help?
- applying for a private ruling, which is a process to seek advice from the ATO or SRO as to their view on how the tax law applies to you, or to a proposed transaction
- making a voluntary disclosure about a mistake, omission or claim in your tax return, or other information provided to the ATO or SRO
- undertaking risk reviews, which are usually comprehensive or specific risk reviews conducted by revenue authorities to determine whether they should proceed to a full audit of your affairs
- responding to an audit position paper
- seeking remission of interest or penalties
- applying for release, compromise or waiver of your tax debt
- seeking to defer or pay your tax debt by instalments
- engaging in various engagement options that are client and process-specific, such as: Dispute Assist, In-House Facilitation, Independent Review and Early Engagement.
What Makes Aptum Different
Select Team Members
“Cost effective professional advice with an efficient cohesive team that take pride in their work and are client focused.”- Event Director, Property Dispute 9.3 Overall Experience
“I was kept informed every step of the way with quick, reliable advice. I felt that they cared about getting me a good outcome.”- Director, Partnership Dissolution Dispute 10 Overall Experience
“From the moment I engaged Aptum they were incredibly professional, thoughtful, and very sensitive to my situation.”- Senior Executive, Employment Dispute 10 Overall Experience
“Aptum Legal was able to grasp the complexities of [my industry], which previous lawyers were unable to understand. My personal preference is for Aptum Legal to open in Queensland.”- Individual, Employment Dispute 10 Overall Experience
“I can’t recommend Nigel Evans & his team highly enough. I found him to be an excellent communicator, intelligent, caring & importantly a great listener. His advice & ability to negotiate a quick resolution for me were first class.”- Andrew Sakeson, Property Dispute 10 Overall Experience
“Nigel made the process as least stressful as he was able to and the outcome confirms that his advice took me on the best path to a strong resolution.”- Anonymous 10 Overall Experience