The ATO and SRO can identify additional tax liabilities following an audit of you or your company.
To recover this debt, the ATO and SRO have an armoury of tools they can use to escalate debt recovery proceedings against you, depending on your circumstances and their assessment of the risk to the revenue.
Aptum can act for you in any debt recovery proceedings or actions instituted against you.
Our tax disputes leaders are former managers of the ATO’s debt litigation department. Our senior lawyers have extensive experience litigating debt recovery cases and formal examinations on behalf of the ATO.
Aptum are uniquely positioned to identify your risks, defend any recovery actions against you and put you on pathway to achieving the best possible resolution of your tax debt.
How can Aptum help?
Aptum can assist with your defence to debt recovery actions from the ATO and SRO, including:
- Garnishee Notices which are typically targeted to your bank accounts, employer or any debtors you may have, and requires them to pay any amounts they owe to you directly to the ATO or SRO
- Director Penalty Notices which allows the ATO to personally recover from you unpaid company debts (PAYG withholding liabilities, superannuation or GST) of which you are a director
- Statutory demands, which are a precursor to winding up applications against your company
- Bankruptcy notices, which are a precursor to creditor’s petitions or bankruptcy proceedings
- Formal notices requiring you to give information or submit to a formal interview
- Notices requiring you to give security in respect of a tax liability or an anticipated tax liability (also known as Security Bond Demands)
- Freezing orders, which are orders restraining you, and sometimes third parties, from dealing with certain assets otherwise you may be held to be in contempt
- Declaratory relief that assets held by a third party (such as your husband or wife) are beneficially owned by you
- Prosecution of criminal proceedings
What Makes Aptum Different
Select Team Members
“Cost effective professional advice with an efficient cohesive team that take pride in their work and are client focused.”- Event Director, Property Dispute 9.3 Overall Experience
“I was kept informed every step of the way with quick, reliable advice. I felt that they cared about getting me a good outcome.”- Director, Partnership Dissolution Dispute 10 Overall Experience
“From the moment I engaged Aptum they were incredibly professional, thoughtful, and very sensitive to my situation.”- Senior Executive, Employment Dispute 10 Overall Experience
“Aptum Legal was able to grasp the complexities of [my industry], which previous lawyers were unable to understand. My personal preference is for Aptum Legal to open in Queensland.”- Individual, Employment Dispute 10 Overall Experience
“I can’t recommend Nigel Evans & his team highly enough. I found him to be an excellent communicator, intelligent, caring & importantly a great listener. His advice & ability to negotiate a quick resolution for me were first class.”- Andrew Sakeson, Property Dispute 10 Overall Experience
“Nigel made the process as least stressful as he was able to and the outcome confirms that his advice took me on the best path to a strong resolution.”- Anonymous 10 Overall Experience
What Our Clients Say About AptumSEE GOOGLE REVIEWS
ATO Debt Recovery & COVID-19
In a five-part video series, learn about some of the main debt collections powers used by the ATO in the context of COVID-19, what to look out for, and what to do if you or your company are served with one.Learn More